Photos show the aftermath of a major car fire in Sneinton Street

A community has been left in shock after a car caught fire on a busy residential street.

Neighbors in Trent Road in Sneinton described the dramatic moment the vehicle was engulfed in ‘thick black smoke’ with the fire ripping through the roof of the car.

London Road firefighters arrived at the scene just after midday on Friday January 21 with hose reels to put out the blaze.

The road was cordoned off while officers conducted investigations into the incident. No one was injured and the incident is not considered suspicious, the force confirmed.

The car involved was pulled off the road and normal traffic resumed around 1 p.m.

Ali Mansor, who lives near where the car caught fire, said: “I was a little scared – I was upstairs and the smoke was everywhere.

“You could see it was the steering wheel that was on fire, then it spread.

“Thank God he didn’t hit the gas tank – I was afraid of an explosion.”

The 24-year-old, who is also a postgraduate student at Nottingham Trent University, added: “Police and firefighters arrived on the scene within minutes – they were very quick.

“Everything was covered in thick black smoke – it was everywhere – it was very scary.

“I remember jumping by the window and watching it all – it was shocking.”



The road has been cleared.

Tahir Javid, who runs Sneinton’s only post office, 51, said: “Nothing really shocks me about Sneinton – I’ve lived here for 22 years now.

“It’s important that no one gets hurt.

“The scene was shocking when police and firefighters arrived.

“But they managed very quickly.

“Now we just pray that those involved are okay.

“This community is like my family, so I care when incidents like this happen here.”

A resident, who lives across the road from where the vehicle allegedly caught fire, said he witnessed the entire incident.

He added: “It was a young couple – and the driver broke down in the middle of the road.

“I offered to help them move the car – so they pushed the car aside while I was inside.

“I noticed smoke coming from the glove compartment and could see the plastic starting to melt – it looked like an electrical fire.

“I got out of the vehicle and called the fire department – they arrived within minutes.”

He said the fire spread quickly – and within minutes the vehicle was covered in smoke.

“He tore the roof off – the driver seemed quite agitated and understandably worried.

“It was very shocking to see how quickly everything was covered in smoke.”

To read all the biggest and best stories, first sign up to read our newsletters here.

Kenneth T. Shippee